Re: ip masquerading on debian slink

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 02:09, Brad Reid wrote:
> hello i've got a LAN setup and would like a linux box on it to be a
> gateway.  the LAN works fine but it is a class C network and i would
> like to enable ip masquerading on the linux box (debian slink).
> i'm having two problems:
>    1. debian distributions don't compile ip masquerading into the kernel,
> right?????
>    2. kernel compile problems.
>
> problem 1: decoding an error message generated while trying to enable ip
> masquerading on kernel without ip masquerading enabled.
>    error messages:
> # ipchains -F input
> ipchains: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available
> # ipchains -F
> ipchains: cannot open file '/proc/net/ip_fwnames'

2.0.x kernels don't use ipchains, but its predecessor, whose name
escapes me at the moment.

> problem2:  compiling the kernel.  i configure the kernel the way the IP
> Masquerade howto suggests for 2.0.x kernels.  the compilation almost
> completes and generates a command 'as86' which generates a command not
> found error.  any suggestions?

You need to install the bin86 package.

BTW, when you get the kernel properly compiled the ipmasq package drops
right in and gives you what you want.

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\