Re: Problem with installing potato on i810 based PC. (No agpgart

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 03:26:01PM -0700, nate@firetrail.com wrote:
> as someone who has installed quite a few i810 machines recently (including
> a potato one) i suggest grabbing the XF86 sources and getting agpgart from
> that. X server is very picky about what version of agpgart it uses
> apparently, or you can grab it direct from me:
>
> http://209.162.145.197/agpgart-source.tar.gz (10kb)
>
> extract it, compile it, add the new /dev/agpgart and it should be ok(and
> insmod the module)

Thanks, I've found the agpgart.c and agpgart.h in
xfree86-1_3.3.6.orig.tar.gz (in source/x11 directory of didtribution).
Now I'm a little confused, because it is obviously different from
the agp_backend, provided in the 2.2.14 kernel sources provided
with RedHat 6.2.

(available eg. at:
ftp://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/Linux/redhat/current/i386/RedHat/RPMS/kernel-source-2.2.14-5.0.i386.rpm
)

AFAIK both potato and debian use the same xfree86-3.3.6.
So what is the difference between the agp_backend and agpgart?
Which one is better?
Has anybody tested and compared both of them?

It seems to me, that agp_backend (internally marked as AGPGART module
version 0.99) is just the previous version of agpgart (internally
marked as agpgart.c,v 1.1.2.2 1999/11/18 19:06:20)...

--
				Greetings
	                      Wojciech M. Zabolotny

http://www.opendvd.org  Don't allow others to decide what can you play on
                        YOUR hardware, and what OS you need to watch DVD!!!