Re: WMMail.App + Mutt annoyances

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 10:52:08PM -0400, t.bedlam wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 10:09:56PM -0800, Ethan Benson was only
>    escaped alone to tell thee:
>
> > On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 07:05:47PM -0400, Chris Gray wrote:
> >
> > > I hacked on wmmail for a while to see if I could fix this.  No luck.  It
> > > does set the timestamp back, but that doesn't seem to help mutt.  Maybe
> > > mutt checks something else, but I didn't have the patience to find out
> > > what from its source.
> >
> > its some sort of race condition, every so often if i go to switch
> > mailboxes mutt notices new mail in $MAIL before wmmail does.  its very
> > rare though...
>
> That just means mutt cycles its checks more frequently.
>
> Did you check both? From manual.txt:
>
> Note: new mail is detected by comparing the last modification time to
> the last access time.  Utilities like biff or frm or any other program
> which accesses the mailbox might cause Mutt to never detect new mail
> for that mailbox if they do not properly reset the access time.

yeah i knew that was how mutt did things, just for an experiment i
sent myself a message, and ran stat on my mailbox before wmmail
noticed, then right after:

(before wwmail notices (beeps))
[eb@plato eb]$ stat $MAIL
  File: "/var/mail/eb"
  Size: 2807       Blocks: 8         Regular File
Access: (0600/-rw-------)         Uid: ( 1000/      eb)  Gid: (    8/    mail)
Device: 308        Inode: 15697      Links: 1
Access: Thu May 25 20:47:20 2000
Modify: Thu May 25 20:50:38 2000
Change: Thu May 25 20:50:38 2000

(after wwmail notices)
[eb@plato eb]$ stat $MAIL
  File: "/var/mail/eb"
  Size: 2807       Blocks: 8         Regular File
Access: (0600/-rw-------)         Uid: ( 1000/      eb)  Gid: (    8/    mail)
Device: 308        Inode: 15697      Links: 1
Access: Thu May 25 20:50:51 2000
Modify: Thu May 25 20:50:38 2000
Change: Thu May 25 20:50:38 2000

[eb@plato eb]$

whem mail is delivered the access time appears to be unchanged, after
wmmail notices it is indeed altered. so it would seem that wwmail is
NOT really resetting the access time.  note for this experiment i
stopped mutt.

so it seems there is indeed a bug in wwmail.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/