xserver startup problem

unpgraded removed some problem on my machine (don't know which one if any
caused the problem) and now when linux comes up, I get a message that it
is looking for a valid xserver, it then says that it couldn't find any and
goes into text login. once I login as a user I can start x with no problem
using startx.
I am using kdm as a login manager, and a rage pro turbo card with the
mach64 server.
I tried to install the xwin files, but I probably missed something
(including the xserver). I haven't reistalled kdm yet though.

Thanx

michf@math.tau.ac.il