Re: Building i585/i686 optimized packages?

There has been some discussion about this on the LFS (Linux From
Scratch) email list.  You can search their archives at --
www.pcrdallas.com/mail-archives/lfs-discuss/

One of the subject headings is "optimization" that would be a place to
start for a search.  Reading the manpages for your compilers also will
shed some light.
hth,
kent