Re: Missing cd-rom chokes off the install process

> ÿMessage--- Missing cd-rom chokes off the install process
>
> Hi:   name here is Hughie. Hope you can help me, if you will.
>
> I'm very new to Linux so have very little knowledge of choosing and
> organizing commands.
>
> I know that """ w """ wipes out Dos 6 and Windows 3.1, when you are in the
> process of trying to create partitions using the cd-rom fdisk :-)
>
> The current Boot floppy information is:
> 	(Linux 2.2.12 (from kernel-image- 2.2.12_2.2.12-1)
>
> Pressing enter at the boot: activates
> 	uncompressing linux
>
> The diagnostic seems to be o.k except for
> 	EATA PIO  No Bios32 extension present makes itself known
>
> My question - is "Bios32 extension really needed at this stage of the
> game?  My two hd's are 300 mgb's and 400 mgbs which ( maybe ) by
> themselves are large enough to load the basic system ????
>
> The install continues and installs the "color" and "qwerty" and continues
> with the "install kernel and modules" and asks where the rescue floppies
> will be presented? (which turns out to be "/dev/fd0")
>
> The install then asks for the driver floppy to be placed in the first drive.
>
> I don't have the driver information on a separate disk or elsewhere.
>
> Is it possible that the needed driver information is within the loaded
> Linux program and could be "tweaked" to get the cd-rom information that it
> seems to be searching for?

Don't think so. Unless you create your own rescue disk with the corresponding
drivers. But it's easy to get the drivers disk (see below).

> Otherwisw is there a source to get the cd-rom information via a drivers
> source (Linux based) on the net. I have a disk (for Mashita CR-562) that
> used to work when I had Dos and Windows 3.1 but it won't be accepted by
> Linux
>
> As another alternative is there a source for boot floppies that would
> better fit my present installation program.
>
> My cd-rom is a Matshita CR-562 which is recognized by Debian in general
> but seems to be not recognized by the boot floppy that was created from my
> Debian 2.1 cd-rom (The boot floppy disk (one only) was made by another
> person on another machine using windows.)

You can create the driver disk as well from the 2.1 cd-rom. Look in the same
directory, where you found the rescue file, for a driver* file. Copy that
file exactly in the same way as for your rescue floppy onto a separate floppy.
Now I can't tell you whether this drive is supported or not Matshita CR-562.
If it is you'll find it during the install (after you loaded the drivers disk
onto your computer). The install program will ask you for any additional
drivers to load. In there you select cd-rom drivers and select the one you
think is the correct one. After that your cd-rom might work and you can
continue the install from cd.

Jo