Re: ppp connection failure - solved

David,
      I have now solved the problem with potato connecting to the remote
RAS server. It seems that the modem is at fault, which to me is not a very
satisfactory solution. The modem I was using is a US Robotics Courier Dual
standard V34 Fax with V32 Bis. this connected fine to the RAS server while
the box was running 'slink', however with 'potato' I couldn't get passed
the link control protocol stage. I put the 'potato' system and another
system running 'slink' into 'kdebug 4' mode and looked at the data
exchange in ppp.log. They were identical, the only difference apart from
the version of Debian was the modems! So I switched modems and low and
behold the USR no longer works on the 'slink' system. Also both a
Multitech and a USR Sportster both work on 'slink' and 'potato'. So it's
nothing to do with 'slink' or 'potato'; it looks very much like the USR
Courier has failed in the switch to 'potato'. So I'm feeling rather
foolish at this point. I wonder whether the modem will work in Windows?

Best regards JohnG

32865e97b5342e762ab140e00f3da23b - Just 'Debian'