Re: keysmoops

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 12:06:12AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> Jim McCloskey said:
> > When I upgraded from slink to frozen, though, I acquired a whole new
> > directory full---/var/log/keysmoops. And it's growing frighteningly
> > fast (doesn't seem to be under the control of the log rotation
> > system).
> >
> > I can't understand the information that's in these files and I haven't
> > been able to find any documentation that would tell me what this log
> > is for. I read debian-user regularly and I've searched the archives,
> > and I'm still none the wiser.
>
> Given that the directory isn't being rotated, is contantly growing,
> neither "keysmoop" nor "keysmoops" returns any hits on Google, and that
> "smoop" looks suspiciously like "snoop"...

Shouldn't it be /var/log/ksymoops ? and doesn't it have a bunch of files
that look like YYYYMMDDhhmmss.ksyms (and *.modules).  Apparrently a
listing of all of the kernel symbols (i.e. function calls) made by
whatever user(s) using the system at the time.  Look at oops-tracing.txt
in the Linux kernel source documentation. Guess it's handled by
klogd/syslogd.  Good if you want to file a bug report to kernel
developers!

> I'm inclined to suspect that your system has been invaded and a bogus log
> (possibly recording all keystrokes entered, judging by the name) has been
> initiated.

Yes, if that's a typo above.

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.