Re: /dev/hda10

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 11:39:28PM +0200, Patrick wrote:

> I've found out that with (some ?) 2.2.x kernels you seem to need to reboot the
> computer between an fdisk and an mke2fs to get ride of 'unconfigured
> device'.
> It doesn't matter which /dev/hda?? it is, as soon as some /dev/hda
> partitions are already in use.

If any partition on the drive is mounted when you try to write the
table, it will give the message you quote below and give errors trying
to access any new partitions until a reboot. If you unmount all the
partitions before trying to write, then it works right away without
rebooting.

The reason, of course, is that it doesn't want to screw around the
partitions when those partitions are being used, since that's a good way
to destroy something. So it doesn't allow the changes to take effect
until it's known safe.

--
  finger for GPG public key.