Re: /dev/hda10

Le Wed, May 24, 2000 at 05:08:01PM +0200, Michael Meskes a dit:
> Could anyone please tell me what I have to do to access /dev/hda10? I can
> create it easily but trying to access it I get an 'unconfigured device'
> message for instance from mke2fs. Do I need a special boot time parameter?

I've found out that with (some ?) 2.2.x kernels you seem to need to reboot the
computer between an fdisk and an mke2fs to get ride of 'unconfigured
device'.
It doesn't matter which /dev/hda?? it is, as soon as some /dev/hda
partitions are already in use.

Not very proud on that one, but it works.
I've tried an strace on mke2fs only to see that unconfigured device
is really what the kernel is telling mke2fs.
For example I had once :
open("/dev/sdb3", O_RDONLY)             = -1 ENXIO (Device not configured)

At the end of my fdisk I had :
Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Re-read table failed with error 16: Device or resource busy.
Reboot your system to ensure the partition table is updated.

So that explains...
After rebooting, it was ok.

What has fdisk told you when you created /dev/hda10 ?
Did you create it at the same time as others /dev/hdaXX ?

--
Patrick.
Because if life has a meaning, we should already know it.