Re: /dev/hda10

Ben Collins wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 05:08:01PM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > Could anyone please tell me what I have to do to access /dev/hda10? I can
> > create it easily but trying to access it I get an 'unconfigured device'
> > message for instance from mke2fs. Do I need a special boot time parameter?
>
> Can you tell me exactly how you have 10 partitons? Even the sun disk label
> only allows for 8. And i386 can have a max of 7(?) with extended
> partitions enabled.
>
> Ben
>
> --
>  -----------=======-=-======-=========-----------=====------------=-=------
> /  Ben Collins  --  ...on that fantastic voyage...  --  Debian GNU/Linux   \
> `  bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bcollins@linux.com  '
>  `---=========------=======-------------=-=-----=-===-======-------=--=---'

I have a system partitioned thus:

hda1	Primary		DOS		FAT-16
hda2	Primary		Debian1		ext2	/
hda3	Primary		Debian2		ext2	/
hda5	Logical		Debian3		ext2	/
hda6	Logical		common(1,2,3)	swap
hda7	Logical		common(1,2,3)	ext2	/var/cache/apt/archives
hda8	Logical		Debian1		ext2	/usr
hda9	Logical		Debian2		ext2	/usr
hda10	Logical		Debian3		ext2	/usr
hda11	Logical		common(1,2,3)	ext2	/data

Don't have any problems accessing any partition from any Debian.  The
only trouble I had was getting two 'other' OS's installed - they both
seemed to want to be on a primary partition and could only cope with one
during installation.  In an earlier config attempt I had split the data
partition in two and had tried with two partitions for the other OS's,
and again, Debian didn't have any trouble accessing them.

It was easier to put the other OS's on first and then use Debian fdisk
during installation to partition the rest.

--

http://www.spatial.freeserve.co.uk

...or something