xdm headache

Running potato with kernel 2.2.12 on a NEC Versa note with neomagic video card.

After moving from slink to potato about 6 months ago, I installed the new kernel
from source rather than dpkg. Since then I haven't upgraded anything (finishing
Ph.D.). The other day I decided to do a dist-upgrade, a few glitches but on the
whole apparently successful. However, when booting the next day rather than
getting the usual XDM login screen with my hostname at the top it says "X
Windows". Undaunted I logged in, got a momentary hang,  and then
returned to the login screen. I can only get X working by killing it and then
"startx" manually.

This is .xsession-errors for root

--\--
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xmodmap: Can't open display ':0'
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Afterstep: Can't open display ':0'
--\--

I have posted this before but not joy. Turns out some guy had/has the same problem
on linux.debian.user.

I notice that I am now running frozen rather than potato - is there some
inconsistency there?

Jord