Re: can't print

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Pollywog <pollywog@shadypond.com> wrote:

>I have never set up printing in Linux.  I just added a printer (Epson Stylus
>Color 740) via parallel port and I have no idea where to begin.
>I installed apsfilter and then magicfilter and apsfilter indicates that
>/dev/lp0 /dev/lp1 etc are not installed, yet I can see they are installed.

Forget about aps/magicfilter for the moment. This will come in later.

>The Printing HOWTO is just confusing me more.  What do I need to install?

1. Recompile kernel with parallel port support. The kernel should
detect you printer at boot time or when the module (lp) is loaded and
log a meaningfull message to syslog.

2. Install lpr

3. Edit /etc/printcap (man printcap). Here's an example:

lp:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
        :sh:mx#0:

4. See if you can print *something*; e.g. try 'ls -l | lpr'. This
should give you some ugly stairs-like output (that's a normal LF/CF
issue). You might have to add your user account to the lp group first
IIRC.

5. *If* this works, start reading the aps/magicfiter
docs. Magicfilters are usually inserted in the print chain as input
filters of lpr (I never used apsfilter, but I assume it works
more or less like magicfilter). Thus you would add a line like this

       :if=/usr/local/share/magicfilter/lj5:\

to the printcap entry for your printer. Of course it has to point to a
magicfilter sript suitable for your modell.

I hope I didn't omit anything essential. Helps?

--
Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>