RE: Memoria reconocida por el sistema vs. memoria instalada

translation - -

> Hola:
>
> Tenemos un servidor con Debian que es un PC clonico, tiene instaladas
> 128 Mb de memoria RAM y la BIOS cuando arranca cuenta las 128 Mb.
> Sin embargo cuando hacemos un free -kt lo que obtenemos es:

on a pc with 128mb ram, this is the output from free -kt

>             total       used     free     shared    buffers    cached
> Mem:   63528      62332  1196     49252     5736      34080
> -/+ buffers/cache: 22516  41012
> Swap:  66524       60      66364
> Tota:   130052   62492    67560

assuming that the Swap entry 66524 represents the swap partition,
why can the pc only recognise 64MB of ram?

> Suponemos que la memoria de swap se refiere a la partición de swap,
> con lo que parece que el sistema solo está reconociendo 64 Mb de las
> 128 Mb instaladas.
>
> En el libro "The Debian Linux User's Guide" en el Appendix 7 apartado
> Arguments leí lo siguiente (que reproduzco, con perdón):
> [...]
> mem=
> Since the BIOS of most PCs can only report 64 Megabytes there are
> times when the kernel needs to be told that there is more memory than
> this. This argument should be used with great care, since, if you lie
> to the kernel and tell it that it has more address space than it
> actually has, the system will crash miserably as some time in the
> near future. Also make sure that your system does not use the highest
> memory for caching the bios code, as use of this memory by the kernel
> will ultimately crash the system as well. The value given after the
> equal sign should be the highest ram address available to the kernel,
> so a 96 Megabyte system would get an argument like
> "mem=0x6000000".
> [...]

having changed lilo.conf as directed with line mem=0x08000000 (128MB as
hex),
i get  Syntax error near line 7 in file /etc/lilo.conf
line 7 is the mem=... line
so how to get it to recognise 128MB ram?

[i don't get the bit about the guitar - does he mean he doesn't want to
flash
his bios?]

sorry this mail is so "cacho"