Re: xterm: Error 14, errno 13: Permission denied

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 12:47:13PM -0400, Lee Bradshaw wrote:
> I've upgraded several systems from slink to potato using a mirror I
> made a few weeks ago. On some of the systems xterm works fine, but on
> others it generates the error message:
>
>   xterm: Error 14, errno 13: Permission denied
>
> rxvt works fine and seems to have the same permissions as xterm:
>
>   -rwxr-sr-x    1 root     utmp        81616 Mar 18 12:40 /usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt-xterm*
>   -rwxr-sr-x    1 root     utmp       161680 Mar 13 22:07 /usr/bin/X11/xterm*

hmm just a wild guess but is /var/run/utmp and/or /var/log/wtmp
writable by group utmp?

> I'm using xterm 3.3.6-6 which seems to be the latest available. I
> can't "strace xterm", and I'm not sure what to look at without more
> information than I see in the error message. Anyone else have any
> ideas?

you cannot strace a s[ug]id program, otherwise you could strace things
like su and gain access to shadow passwords, among other nasty things
(like run them through a debugger and make them start a shell instead)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/