Gnome won't lauch in potato

  The problem is that I can't get Gnome to work with my Debian 2.2 (potato) system.

Here is a description of the problem:

   1. I first installed slink freshly.
   2. Then I did 'apt-get update'
   3. Then I did 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
   4. I ran dselect several times to get everything configured, with all dependencies solved.    5. Then I edited the /etc/apt/sources.list file by adding the path for the potato tree and for             vincents unofficial debian upgrades.    6. I did dselect and apt-get update several times to make sure all the packages where installed.    7. I got the all the Gnome related packages I could find in debian.org/~vincent and installed them

   I can run X and use any windows manager installed without problems (Enlightenment, IceWM, WindowMaker, etc.)  However, if I try to use gnome-session or the equivalent command, I get the following error messages on the console:

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
SESSION_MANAGER=local/CI866887-A:/tmp/.ICE-unix/436,tcp/CI866887-A:5085

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

This is the warning even if I currently to not have a X windows session open.
Any ideas?  Contact me if more information is needed.

Zach Hartley