AppleTalk printing broken after dist-upgrade

I have a relatively vanilla slink box. I did an apt-get dist-upgrade
yesterday for the first time in a while and watched as apt installed a
new version of lpr, among other things. (It seems to be the security
fix that was released in October. I told you I haven't upgraded for a
while...)

Now I can't print to my AppleTalk laser printer. If the printer is
sleeping, then sending a job to it from my Debian box will sometimes
wake it up, but it doesn't print anything, and running lpq shows the
print queue is empty. If I send a *large* job and then lpq
immediately, I can sometimes see the job in the queue, but a second
lpq shows an empty queue.

The nbplkup utility shows the printer, and papstatus claims it's
printing (!?).  Trying to print to it with pap times out.

I've tried tweaking /etc/printcap and rebuilding the printer's spool
directory and associated files. No luck. Is the latest slink lpr
incompatible with netatalk or something? Does anyone know of a quick
fix here? This machine is a webserver, and I don't want to mess with
moving it to potato until potato is stable.

Thanks...

Ron Hale-Evans
rwhe@apocalypse.org