Re: modem question

Paulo Henrique Baptista wrote:

>         HI all,
>         anyone has a US/Robotics 3Com external modem.
>         I'm trying to setup it and cant succed.
>         What are its configurations?
>         ioport, irq, setserial, ttyS?
>         Thanks,         Paulo Henrique

Assuming it's not a winmodem (and being external, it's almost certainly
not), it's probably plugged into one of your serial ports. The
definition of a particular serial port as being COM1 (/dev/ttyS0) or
COM2 (/dev/ttyS1), etc might be done in the computer's CMOS, and might
be done in software (Linux's setserial command/config file).

Assuming standard setup on your box (serial port A = IRQ4 = IOPort
0x2F8, serial port B = IRQ3 = IOPort 0x3F8, I think), use minicom and
experiment between ttyS[0-3], telling it to call your cell phone which
you have close by. When your modem lights blink and dials out and your
cell rings, you've got the right serial port.

If you get error messages on all, take a look at the setserial stuff (I
think the file locations/methods changed between ham and potato, so I
can't give you specifics).

Taking a look at "cat /proc/ioports" and "cat /proc/interrupts" may also
help you figure out if your serial ports are active.

I know this isn't as clear-cut as you'd like (I'm pretty green with a
lot of Linux), but maybe it'll help point you in the right direction.