Re: Putting applications in Xwindows

Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

> Yes I do. I have installed several of them: icewm, fvwm, enlightenment, afterstep,etc
>
> Pollywog wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 21 May 2000, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> > > I got my Xwindows going with functioning mouse, the only problem is that
> > > I don't have any applications accessible from there, even xterm isn't
> > > there! I suposse that it hapenned because I installed all the
> > > applications first, and then only my Xsystem. How do I make them visible
> > > from there?
> > > Thanks,
> > > Antonio.

I'm no expert, but here's a brief rundown of my understanding.

Desktop icons are not part of window managers, but they are part of
"environments", such as KDE or Gnome, so if you're looking for desktop
icons, that's the direction to look.

If you're wanting items on your menu, such as in icewm, there are
definition files for each item. When packages are installed they place a
menu definition file in /usr/lib/menu. SysAdmins can override these
menus by placing new files in /etc/menu, and individual users can set up
their own menus by placing files in ~/.menu. (See the README in
/usr/lib/menu.)

I would check /usr/lib/menu to see if there are any files in there. If
not, then I figure you can do one of three things: 1) manually create a
file for each menu item you want, 2) reinstall each package you want a
menu item for, or 3) upgrade your system, and each package that is
upgraded should create a menu item file.

"menu-update" might have to be run in order to update the menus from the
menu definition files, and you might have to restart your window manager
to get it to see the new menu item.

Again, I'm no expert, and I'm not positive that this is the way things
work, but it might point you in the right direction.