Re: apt-get, upgrade, /var/cache/apt/archives

Daniel Martin wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 19 May 2000, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> >
> > > 1:) What is the best way to make apt-get use the /archives folder to
> > > perform the upgrade and return the system to stage 2. above?
> >
> > cp /archive/*.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/
>
> Specifically, apt stores all of the dependency and install-order
> information in databases that only need to download the Potato
> Packages.gz files to be rebuilt - if you do this, then do your update
> and dist-upgrade, apt shouldn't have to download packages again
> (except that some of the packages will have changed since you last got
> them).
>
> What this will not restore is any changes you made in which packages
> were selected.  This information is stored elsewhere.

</lurk mode>
should we all have an /archive/ directory at root level? i sure don't.
maybe that's on the cd...?

i do have /var/cache/apt/archives/ after doing much
	apt-get update
	apt-get dist-upgrade
	apt-get upgrade

so after i reset everything and reinstall slink from cd, having saved
the /var/cache/apt/* stuff, can i just restore the /var/cache/apt/
directory and upgrade to potato again with the above commands?
[without having to re-download the wheel, so to speak?]