Re: exim mail routing...

eavesdropping, here...

one of the debian gurus wrote:

> > Can I get a quick-hint how to do this with exim, which I now seem to have
> > as my new mail program.
> >
> RTFM! ;-)
> look at this 800 kb file and search for smarthost. there is a complete
> config example.

for illustrative purposes, here's how i'd follow that advice:

% man exim
/smart
"Pattern not found" -- in 1650 lines of text

% info exim
/smarthost
>            route_list = "*  smarthost.ref.book  bydns_a"
>
>     which causes all messages containing remote addresses to be sent
>     to the single host `smarthost.ref.book', whose address (in this

only two matches, within three lines of each other.
maybe it's on another of the 56 nodes, if you can figure
out how to get there or how to search them all...

% zgrep smarthost /usr/doc/exim*/*
/usr/doc/exim/changelog.Debian.gz:
    + New configuration for system with local deliveries but smarthost
/usr/doc/exim/oview.txt.gz:
     *.uucp) and it can also be used as a 'smarthost' router by using
the all-
/usr/doc/exim/spec.txt.gz:
         route_list = "*  smarthost.ref.book  bydns_a"
     single host smarthost.ref.book, whose address (in this example) is

so, what he* meant was, HFTFMADBUE even though he said RTFM.

[ what debian needs is MORE places to store documentation, so that
newbies will NEVER be able to find them. that's the ticket. ]

HFTFMADBUFE, the linux motto, is an acronym for 'hunt for the %#@
manuals, and don't bother us %#@ experts', because the manuals
are splintered into a billion pieces all over the %#@ place, and
you're lucky to find the right one if you actually happen to have
them installed on your system.

what i mean, is, the reason newbies don't FIND the documentation
is because it is an ORDEAL to do so. apprentice-guru status is
required to know to search /usr/doc via zgrep AND /usr/share/doc
AND info pages AND man pages AND apropos...

the simple thing to do, is ask others who might know.
which is what this list is for.

--

*not just picking on oswald or ron; all those who are familiar
with the documentation after years of osmosis could go a bit easy

am i getting through? am i just farting in a windstorm?
am i way off base?