Re: Debian-CD Image and Kernel versions puzzle

Thus spake Ron Stordahl on Fri, May 19, 2000 at 05:31:15PM CDT

> Here is what puzzles me.  I have the impression that I am using the CD just
> to load a basic system, to give me the capability to proceed further with an
> http install, as such I would have thought that either way I would end up
> with the latest frozen potato, yet I end up with different versions.  Is
> there a good reason for this?

Frozen doesn't mean that everything stays the same, it just means that no
new features are added.  Kernel upgrades in the 2.2.x series constitute bug
fixes and are appropriate modifications for a frozen distribution.  This is
the difference between 'frozen' and 'stable' - and don't mistake the Debian
distribution version number from the kernel version number.  Both just
happen to be '2.2.x'.

> A second question would be is there an ISO source which I could download
> which would only contain the basic system that if I could use just to get
> going, then switch to http (or ftp) install.

I just installed Debian from the 3 floppy 'compact' set in

/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/2.2.13-2000-05-04/images-1.44/compact

These 3 disks will bootstrap you enough to get everything you need to
install the packages of your choice over the Internet from ftp.debian.org or
one of the mirror sites.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at