Debian-CD Image and Kernel versions puzzle

I am experimenting with installs of frozen potato and this is a puzzle (to
me):

Using a CD ISO image I downloaded of potato about a month ago I do a CD Boot
to install the base system, then I select http for the access method.  Doing
so I end up with Kernel version 2.2.14.

Using a new ISO image I downloaded just today when proceeding in the same
fashion I end up with Kernel version 2.2.15.

Here is what puzzles me.  I have the impression that I am using the CD just
to load a basic system, to give me the capability to proceed further with an
http install, as such I would have thought that either way I would end up
with the latest frozen potato, yet I end up with different versions.  Is
there a good reason for this?

A second question would be is there an ISO source which I could download
which would only contain the basic system that if I could use just to get
going, then switch to http (or ftp) install.  The full disc is 600+ MB, but
a CD of the basic system needed to get going and complete with http or ftp
install would be much much smaller...would be nice to have.

Ron