Realtime sched and floppy (Was: Re: rawrite broken from DOS-box under W98? (Was: Re: thinkpad install prob))

 Linux has similar trouble under certain conditions.  I wrote a little
 program that will set the scheduling policy and priority of a PID,
 and used it to set the `esd' (enlightened sound daemon) to Round
 Robin Scheduling with a high priority, so that the music doesn't skip
 when I switch virtual desktop screens in `sawmill'.  With that
 setting, burning a floppy image with `dd' produces `boot-floppies'
 root.bin diskettes that fail the CRC check.  Resetting the `esd'
 scheduling policy to the standard setting, I find that diskette
 images I burn work fine, given the identical image file and diskette.

 So if you're using POSIX real-time scheduling, don't use the floppy
 disk.  The floppy won't get all of the timeslices it needs, and will
 be unreliable.

Those who do not study Lisp are doomed to reimplement it - Poorly.
A few months in the laboratory often saves several hours at the library.

mailto:karlheg@debian.org (Karl M. Hegbloom)