Please help - network incredibly slow...

Hi!

I've been chewing on this for three days - now it goes before the experts...
:)

My LAN looks like so:

Machine 1
Dual P2/400/256
somewhere between potato and woody | Win NT 4sp6a
eth0:	D-Link DFE-530TX (10/100)
	- via-rhine.o from http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
	- to switch
	- static ip 192.168.0.1
eth1: 3Com 3C905B	(10/100)
	- 3c90x.o from 3Com web site
	- to cable modem
	- DHCP

Machine 2
Celeron/533/128
Win 98SE
eth0: D-Link 530TX (10/100)
	- to switch
	- static ip 192.168.0.2

Machine 3
P/100/24
potato
eth0: 3Com 3C900 Combo (10)
	- 3c59x.o from 2.2.15
	- to switch
	- static ip 192.168.0.101

The switch is a D-Link DES-1008 (8 port autosensing)

Now: I can ping each machine from itself and all others, so it's basically
working.

Only when I start file transfers it becomes apparent that the transfer rates
are way too low.

Machine1(linux)	 -->	Machine2: max 3MB/sec, typ 500KB/sec
Machine1(linux)	<--> 	Machine3: max 200KB/sec, often only 3KB/sec
Machine3 		 -->	Machine2: once got 600KB

Whenever Machine 1 was involved it would output

"Something wicked happened"

with either 0009 or 000a appended to the kernel log
and every console.

There is a paragraph about this message at the site where I got the driver,
but it only lists different error codes.

While NT was a bitch to get working at all, it now gives me (2)-->(1)
6500KB/sec
over "windows networking" (aargh!) which seems to be the maximum (2) is able
handle.

Should I blame the via-rhine driver?

Have any of you got any ad-hoc ideas?

What info should I provide?

Are there any good diagnostic programs (besides mii-diag)?

Help!

(At least I hope you can help me - I'd have to let go of that
"dump nt, go samba" idea of mine, otherwise.)

Best regards

Christian Pernegger