Re: Telnet security

At 06:14 PM 5/20/00 +0700, Umum Wijoyo wrote:
>The previous discussion on Telnet security interested me.
>I would thus like to ask:
>How do you tell that ssh is running during your Telnet/Rlogin connection?

You don't. ssh is a different service from telnet, more or less a drop-in
replacement for rsh, but with encryption to provide security. You invoke it
(in a Debian context) from the command line as "ssh someplace.com", possibly
with some additional options.

>How do you set-up ssh to work?

Again in a Debian context, you do it by installing the ssh package. With no
effort on your part, it will install in what others have referred to as
"password" mode. Read the accompanying docs for the details on setting up
other modes.

>I'm afraid I've been thinking that ssh was already working on my Linux
>box, but actually it wasn't...??? :-p

If you've been thinking that it somehow modifies the "telnet" command
itself, you haven't yet tested for its presence. Start with a simple check,
like "which ssh", and go from there.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com