Exim .forward file - how do I pipe a message?

I have installed sn - a news system like Leafnode but better for me in
lots of ways.

Anyway, it has the ability to process mailing lists and display them in
a newsreader. In the sn docs it gives the following info:

"Set up your mail system (.forward, .qmail, /etc/aliases or
 whatever) to pipe each incoming message to snmail, with the
 command line similar to:

 BINDIR/snmail -s mailing-list local.

 (note trailing dot)."

On the Exim web site it mentions 'pipe' but I can't get it working.
Basically I need to use my debian-user filter and pipe messages matching
the filter to snmail.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

--