X options

What is the correct way to pass options to the X server on a per-user
and system-wide basis?

For example, if I wanted to always start X with the "-nolisten tcp"
option, how would I do this?

I could edit the "startx" script itself but this seems crude to me.

I looked in some of the man pages and it seems as though ~/.xserverrc is
the correct per-user way to do it, but I tried a couple different ways
of formatting the contents of that file and was not able to get X to
start correctly.  I tried:

X -nolisten tcp

XF86_SVGA -nolisten tcp

exec XF86_SVGA

With various deaths and/or failures to start from each method.

Thanks for any help.