Re: freshmeat running on windoze?!

** On May 20, Sven Burgener scribbled:
> Hi
>
> I realised shortly after that I tried the wrong TLD. My fault. I
> immediately posted a cancel message to the list thereafter.
I don't have it in my inbox yet... Nevermind :))

> But whilst we're on that subject, how would such an "OS & Port 80 scan"
> be done not using this web-front-end?!
There are at least three easy ways to check what operating system runs on
the remote machine (let's assume it's got the HTTP port open):

1. nmap -O -p 80 host.name.com
   You don't want to scan them :), that's why the -p

2. telnet host.name.com 80
   HEAD / HTTP/1.0
   <newline>
   <newline>
   here comes the information from the server

3. queso -p 80 host.name.com
   Actually, nmap uses the same method to check the fingerprint of the
   remote system and is, IMO, much better in that respect.

Well, these are the three easiest methods :))

marek