Re: Telnet Security

John Bagdanoff said:

>On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 12:03:04AM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:
>> Someone told me about security key but I cant remeber the web page where to
>> download them. I guess you need to have a key installed on the remote pc
>> that matches the server key. Anybody know what Im talking about?
>>
>All I know, is that once you have ssh installed on your
>linux box & use puTTY on a windows box, they will "talk" to
>each other & negotiate a key.  No need to download any key
>from any web site.

If you use the authentication type "RSA" in conjunction with SSH instead of authentication type "password", you'll need to exchange keys with the host for it to be able to authenticate you.

SecureCRT, I know, has this feature. There's a nice help file to guide you step by step. But as some of us know, SecureCRT isn't a free SSH client (but, IMVHO, it's worth every penny).

I just use type "password"; I used to use RSA until I got sick of going through the process of exchanging keys. Who knows what's "better," but I sure as heck know it's better than Telnet. :-)

Brian