Re: apt-get install or upgrade from stored archive

Ron Rademaker wrote:

> I don't thinthat'll work because the directory structure isn't correct, on
> a mirror you got
> /dists/<distro>/[main|contrib|non-free]/binary-i386/[base|admin|net|etc]/package.deb
> you don't have that with your downloaded packages, the best thing you can
> do is go to the downloaded .deb and do dpkg -i *.deb, you might need to
> add some force options, like the one to avoid version conflicts /
> dependencies, perl and libc6 might give problems, YOU SHOULD ONLY USE
> THOSE FORCES TO UPGRADE THOSE 2!!
> But I must agree with you that there should be some kind of way to easily
> downgrade using .debs on your system and apt-get, perhaps a feature that
> should be added to apt-get.... who maintains the package???

here's how i find the package maintainers:

# dpkg -s apt

Package: apt
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 1400

Maintainer: APT Development Team <deity@lists.debian.org>

Version: 0.3.18
Replaces: deity, libapt-pkg-doc (<< 0.3.7), libapt-pkg-dev (<< 0.3.7)
Provides: libapt-pkg2.7
Depends: libc6, libc6 (>= 2.1), libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libstdc++2.10
Suggests: dpkg-dev
Conflicts: deity
 This is Debian's next generation front-end for the dpkg package manager.
 It provides the apt-get utility and APT dselect method that provides a
 simpler, safer way to install and upgrade packages.
 .
 APT features complete installation ordering, multiple source capability
 and several other unique features, see the Users Guide in
 /usr/doc/apt/guide.txt.gz

i look forward to the details that resolve your main question...