Re: Why is the Debian home page so boring?

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 11:47:36AM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Looking at the Debian home page, one get the impression that only the
> now very old Slink distribution, with kernel 2.0.36, old X, old libc,
> etc, released March 1999 is available.

It's the official one, still.

> The News section mentions the testing of a new distribution is ongoing.

The freeze announcements should be there somewhere, surely.

Anyway, the freeze isn't meant to be for testing by the general public, just
the clueful people. It normally behaves just like unstable, until we fix it.

> NOTHING is said about the power of apt-get and the ease of upgrading using
> the web to more recent software.  Also, nothing is mentioned about the
> availability of kernel-2.2.15, XFrre86-3.3.6, glibc-2.1.3, etc, already
> today, even BEFORE Potato has been released.

That's because it's all available in frozen, and unstable distributions, not
in the stable one. There's a significant difference between those.

> 1. Rewrite the Getting Started section, e.g. inform about the large
>    number of architectures and packages supported. This surely
>    attracts new users.
> 2. Something on apt-get, and upgrading from the web.
> 3. Rewrite the News section, e.g. add links to recent packages
>    available, with highlights, updated frequently.
> 4. In addition to the Weekly News link, add more frequent updates to
>    the News section. Surely, by following the excellent mailing lists,
>    you realize much more is happening than what is reported on the
>    first page.

Feel free to implement any of this... the sources are in CVS, at
:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/webwml , modules webwml/english
or whatever other language available. Submit patches to
debian-www@lists.debian.org. Also any discussions about the web pages should
be held there.

Tell debian-boot@lists.debian.org list about it.