dumbass wm question

can somebody please explain the relationship between desktop,
window-manager, filemanager, X etc? i jus' don' get it.

i want to cut down the amount of resource my given to gui, people keep
saying sawmill is small, enlightenment is this, kde is that,

but i don't know what all the bits are.

cheers

Dominic
                   I used to be an advocate of