sound-problems

Hello,
I am a brand new to the world of linux.  I have potato installed on my
system at home, and I am now trying to set up sound modules.  I am stuck
and was wondering if anyone could help me. I will be as detailed as
possible, so please forgive any redundant information:

1. using xconfig, I went through and selected the appropriate sound card
and OSS support, exited and made a bzImage.
2. After I make and make install the modules, I copied /vmlinuz to
/vmlinuz.old
3. cp /usr/src/linux/modules/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /vmlinuz
4. lilo -C /etc/lilo.floppy

I looked at the documentation for the sound card I have (CS4232) and it
says that I need to load the modules using the commands
1. modprobe sound
2. insmod ad1848
3. insmod uart401
4. insmod cs4232 io=* irq=* dma=* dma2=*

However, I am not entirely sure how this is done.  In the directory
/usr/src/linux/modules/ there are ad1848.o, uart401.o, and cs4232.o
files. However, when I type insmod ad1848.o some information scrolls by,
but for each device it says ad1848.o: unresolved symbol:XXXXXX. I do not
know what to do to get the sound to function.  The information specific
to my card are as follows:
irq= 5
io=0534-0537
dma=01
dma2=00

Sorry for the long message.  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for
me, they would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

-Jake