Re: FTP yes, Telnet no

Use /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny, in hosts.deny you say ALL: ALL,
now you can't make a connection from anywhere except when you say so in
hosts.allow, so there you say proftpd: ALL and anything else you'll want
to open (eg. sendmail, nfs-server, apache etc.)
Another thing you can do is simply remove the telnet daemon (telnetd).

Ron Rademaker