Apache + PHP3 + MySQL = big mess

Hello,
I am using Debian "Potato" and I use Apache, PHP3 and every modules
containing "php3" and "mysql" and MySQL server and client.
I am going through a tutorial on DevShed (http://www.devshed.com) on
creating a web database.  I have checked that PHP3 has been installed
and runs properly.  No problems there.  I checked the MySQL
configuration and set-up the relevant users and permissions.  No
problems there, either.  I then had a look at my httpd.conf file, to see
what modules were being loaded.  I saw that the libphp3.so and a
mod_auth_mysql.so are uncommented.  I then wrote this PHP3 script:

 </head>

   <h1>Data from mytable</h1>
   <?
     mysql_connect("localhost", "webuser", "");
     $query = "SELECT name, phone FROM mytable";
     $result = mysql_db_query("example", $query);

     if ($result) {
       echo "Found these entries in the database:<ul>";
       while ($r = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
             $name = $r["name"];
             $phone = $r["phone"];
             echo "<li>$name, $phone";
             }
               echo "</ul>";
             } else {
               echo "No data.";
      }
       mysql_free_result($result);
   ?>

Running this script gives me this error:
Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function mysql_connect()
in /var/www/example/index.php3 on line 8

What am I missing ?

Oliver