Re: Help: my /var/log/lastlog's as big as Canarsie!

In article <cistron.39228ED9.F4D93EDB@finux.com>,
montefin  <montefin@finux.com> wrote:
>Has anyone else encountered this situation?

Yes, almost everyone.

>I was looking at my /var/log directory and this popped out at me
>-rw-rw-r--   1 root     utmp       18692964 May 17 04:19 lastlog
>
>I'm still tweaking a recent upgrade from Slink to Potato, so I guess I
>do a lot of su - logins, but still isn't that an enormous file for its
>purpose?

No. Do a "du /var/log/lastlog" - you'll see that it's just a few K.

>'man lastlog' does have a cautionary statement about wide gaps in uid
>#'s slowing down the time it takes for lastlog to print to screen when a
>user logs in.

That isn't quite what the manual page says, the manpage is confusing
and incomplete though.

>And, as a consequence of having qmail installed I do have huge gaps in
>uid's because Debian requires the 7 qmail uid's to be 64010 to 64016.
>Could this have any bearing on the huge size of the log file?

It isn't huge - it just has enormous holes in it. And holes do not
take up real disk space. This is a feature of Unix called "sparse files".

>Even so, is there some command I can issue to flush the log so I can
>keep it in proportion? Or will some regular process eventually reduce
>the size of /var/log/lastlog and free up that disk space?

Not needed. Try the "du /var/log/lastlog" command to see how much
space it _actually_ uses and be amazed ;)

Someone should fix/update the manpage though:

- mention that the effect under CAVEATS only happens when lastlog
  is called without -u
- explain how the lastlog file works, and why it appears to be
  bigger than it is. Or just point to lastlog(5) which should then
  ofcourse be written

Mike.