Re: IP forwarding

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 04:44:53PM -0600, Dwayne C . Litzenberger wrote:

> Here's the problem: I don't *want* to do masq'ing.  The ethernet card/network
> subsystem is not picking up that it's supposed to forward packets from the
> cable modem (that's what it is) to the computers on my home network.
>
> The firewall's address: 24.15.16.190
> My workstation's address: 24.15.16.179
> The gateway after the cablemodem: 24.15.16.1
>
> Note that I don't have a whole subnet, just a few addresses.
>
> But I think it's a more low-level problem than ipchains.  The logs show
> nothing about return packets, and I only see them with iptraf in promiscuous
> mode.  I really think it's something to do with the ethernet setup.
>
> But what?

Forwarding implies routing.  This isn't routing, it's bridging.  You
need to enable bridging in the kernel and set it up (I've never done
that in Linux so until I read the docs, I can't help you there).

HTH,

--
Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/