RE: IP forwarding

> As soon as I do an "ipchains -P MASQ" (yes, I know that's
> evil), the pings
> work.  So, I can do masquerading.

(lightning bolt to head) As stated in the IPMasq Howto, "Ja, you do have to
state masq'ing packets. Forwarding chain doesn't mean outside all the time."

Besides all the other chains listed in the Howto is specifically the
following:

ipchains -A forward -i (ppp0?) -s (internal network) -d (any or 0.0.0.0/0)
-j MASQ

In english:
append to forward chain that on interface ppp0 from our internal network to
any destination jump to Masq'ing.