Installation and startup of SB sound card driver, alsa etc.

I have installed a minimal Hamm on a Compaq Prolinea 486 with 120M disk and an SB compatible sound card (yes I know that they are not always as compatible as all that but I haven't got far enough to worry about that, I think).

I used dselect to install alsu-utils and eveything else named alsa except the source. Ran also-config (or some similar name) and it created a startup script. I ran the script and tried to run aplayer and the other utils but all of them say that they cannot open the sound device. The relevant device files all exist (audio, dsp).

I have looked at the Linux Sound How-To which didn't help at all. It seems that everyone else has sound working and has higher level problems but I can't even get started. Help!

I have been using Debian for a couple of years and I have done a two year stint as a DEC OSF/1 sysadmin so I count myself as moderately familiar with Unix in general but I am completely stuck here.

Kevin Whitefoot