Debian over Caldera

Hello,
    Sorry to trouble you with this but couldn't find anything in
scanning the last few months' mail.  I'm new to Debian and
Linux and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
    Would like to install Debian in place of Caldera on a PC
currently dual booting NT and Caldera.  The first drive has
the NT boot partition (NTFS) and a small FAT partition.  The
second drive has a 5 GB NTFS partition and a 3 GB and a .5
GB partition for Caldera.
    Caldera installed cleanly, including seeing the cable modem,
except for configuring the printer.  But is doesn't seem to have
the 'open', non-commercial mindset that Debian has.  Installing
other software packages has incurred problems for which a
support maillist like this wasn't found.
    The question then is what is the easiest way to install Debian
over the Caldera?  I picked up the O'Reilly debian gnu-linux
package inexpensively at a mall which included the McCarty
book.  Are the included install instructions the only or cleanest
way or is there a less involved method taking advantage of the
existing installed Linux?
    The goal of this is to migrate a Solaris server/ WinXX client
small application development house (6 of us) to a Linux/Solaris
environment now and eventually our customer base.
    Any thoughts or precautions on using Debian along with MySQL,
Magic Software and JBuilder would also be appreciated!

jcp