Re: Epson 740

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 06:39:57PM -0700, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> Hello, all,
>
> I recently purchased a 740 for my home network.  I have a Debian 2.1
> server with magicfilter and gs-5.10 installed.  I was unable to get the
> printer to work with any of the normally available filters in magicfilter.

Hi Matt,

I recently just setup my epson 1520. I'd imagine from what I read that
they're fairly similar. I tried using magicfilter, and ran into similar
problems. I wound up using apsfilter. Setting up the printer was
easy.  I wound up with several printer defs. ascii, so I can print
from mutt and the console (lpr -P ascii), a couple stcolor printer
defs for printing in color, and a raw def that I'm using for the
windows machines to print on (samba). It works great, I love this
printer.

qualification: it was easy after I figured out that the reason the
test page printed errors was because I needed to install gsfonts.
If you dont install the gsfonts package, printing postscript files
wont work. Netscape prints out in ps format. So install gsfonts,
grab apsfilter and setup your printer.

--
Mental

"When in doubt, use brute force."