Re: donut is dead, long live the donut

Oswald Buddenhagen <ob6@inf.tu-dresden.de> writes:
 DZM> I've tried reinstalling both LILO and the Debian MBR.  Neither
 DZM> 'install-mbr' nor rerunning 'liloconfig' seems to have had an effect.
OB> i don't know, what liloconfig is for, but does it automatically run lilo?
OB> the invocation of /sbin/lilo does the actual installation of the
OB> boot sector/mbr ...

Actually, it doesn't.  (And yes, I have run both LILO and installed
the Debian MBR directly; that had no effect.)  The default setup is to
install LILO on the root partition, rather than in the MBR.  A short
specialized MBR is installed instead.  Just about all of the
functionality it has is to offer a choice of partitions to boot from,
with a default of the first active partition.  It doesn't even have
much of an interface; for me, it would display "1FA:" if tweaked.

But this turns out not to have been a problem.  After messing with
things some more and finally creating a floppy with GRUB on it, I
discovered that the system would just freeze if I tried to touch the
hard drive before a Linux kernel booted.  I traced this back to a BIOS
setting: my system has a known buggy CMD640 IDE interface, and I had
disabled the "write prefetch" option in the BIOS.  The system *really*
didn't like this, apparently, I re-enabled it and everything is
more-or-less happy now.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell