using the source packages

As I've mentioned here before, I have used Linux since late
1994, but I'm new to Debian.

In the past, whenever I've wanted to compile stuff I have
just gone out and d/l'd a tar ball and stuck it in
/usr/local, did my little incantations and probably include
a 'make install' or whatever and that was that.  Now I've
grown to see the charms of the *deb packages but I wanna
compile wine myself on my box here.

So, I have the source package, but what do I do now?  (If
this is too stupid a question to answer, just point me to
some doc which will lay it out for me.)

For that matter, while we're about it, I'd also like
recompile my kernel in the canonical Debian way.  Pointers
there would also be appreciated.

Tia,

Maury