Re: REPOST: Laptop Screen Size Problems (cont...)

> hi
>
> I've installed xfree ver 3.3.6-6, still having problems though (original
> posting @ bottom of this e-mail). Have included the output from running
> 'startx' (thorough "startx &> startxout").
>
> I would be very grateful for any assistance ...

> XFree86 Version 3.3.6 / X Window System
> Configured drivers:
>   SVGA: server for SVGA graphics adaptors (Patchlevel 1):
>       ark2000pv, ark2000mt, mx, realtek, s3_savage, s3_virge, AP6422, AT24,
>       AT3D, s3_svga, ...
Here are your possible S3 chip supports within the SVGA server.

> (--) SVGA: PCI: S3 Unknown chipset (0x8c12) rev 17, Memory @ 0xf0000000
> (--) SVGA: Unknown S3 chipset: chip_id = 0x8c12 rev. 11

It spots S3 but doesn't know what kind.

> (--) SVGA: chipset:  generic

Sadly, it picks "generic" (its standard fallback) instead of "s3_svga"
the best human guess.

But, from your docs for the video card, you should be able to make a much
better guess than it, and force the Devices section to contain
	chipset "s3_svga"
...or whichever.  That is, if you insist on using the SVGA builtin instead
of XF86_S3 or _S3V as applicable.

Best luck!

-* Heather Stern * star@starshine.org *-