Re: Sound problems (PCI128)

Hello,

David Henningsson wrote:
>I downloaded kernel 2.2.14 to get support for PCI128. I don't know if it is 1370 or 1371, but >I took a chance on 1370. Ányway, the wave is working but the midi isn't (I mean the midi port, >I have an external synth module). So I wen't to irc.debian.org, and there someone told me to >try alsa. However, I took the potato version since I thought that would work better with a 2.2 >kernel.
>That whole stuff turned out to be packages needing other packages, so I thought it was best to >stop and deinstall all the alsa stuff again.

I had this problem too, but I have not yet found a solution for it :-(

> However. The wave is working. And so is the mixer, but the settings are low every time I boot >the computer. According to the sound HOWTO a call to setmixer at boot time would solve the >problem, but I have no such file.

A good way to solve this is to install 'aumix' and do something like :
"/usr/bin/aumix -f /etc/.aumixrc -S" at shutdown and
"/usr/bin/aumix -f /etc/.aumixrc -L" at bootup.
(You can automize this by making a small script in "/etc/init.d/" and
symlinking to it
from the rc[0-6].d directory's)

> User root has a prompt which could look like "Dwc:/usr/share#". But
> user diwic has only a $ (xterm >says "bash $"), and a path would be
> very nice to have there too.

You can easily change this in your "/etc/profile" file.
Simply change PS1 to whatever you like.

Yours,

Almer. S. Tigelaar.