Re: kernel upgrade

w trillich wrote:

> Vitux wrote:
> >
> > UMUM wrote:
> > >
> > > Is it safe for me to upgrade to Linux kernel 2.2.14 yet?
> > >
> > > I've just upgraded from slink/stable to potato/frozen, but kept my old
> > > 2.0.38 kernel.
> >
> > I'd say it would be h*** of a good idea to upgrade your
> > kernel. Running 2.2.14 myself, I find it very stable, and very
> > fast. Also, some of the older kernels are known to have a
> > fs-corruption bug (there was a thread about it a few days
> > ago).
>
> # apt-get install kernel-image\*
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   kernel-image-2.0.36
<SNIP>
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.
> #
>
> i saw someone recommend
>         apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.14
>
> how would a newbie determine which kernel-image is
> best to apt-get? (i'm at 2.0.36 on i586)

Recently a newbie myself, I picked the latest stable kernel
available at the time I had decided to upgrade my kernel.
This turned out to be the 2.2.14, which is also the one used
in potato. I found out later that this was a lucky choice;
someone on the list (not long ago) mentioned that almost all
other kernels, and especially the older ones, have a bug which
corrupts your fs very slowly.
What I did was go to kernel.org and download the 16Mb tarball,
put it in /usr/src and untar it. It creates a dir /linux, in
which there is a README, containing detailed instructions. So
I guess what I did was a manual install, which is really quite
easy. Haven't figured out how to do it the Debian way, yet...
HTH
Vitux

--
"I'm not a crook"