RE: root tries to automatically log in

do you have any other system users created in /etc/passwd?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Crotts [mailto:day@net-connect.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 12:29 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: root tries to automatically log in

I reinstalled my 2.1 debian base last week. When it got to the point
where the box reboots then asks me to set a root password, it
rejected every password I tried. I tried various combinations of
numbers and letters but everything was rejected.

So I rebooted, and then my box logged in root automatically with
no password. I changed roots pw and rebooted again. This time it
tried to log root in again, but since I had changed the pw from
blank to **** the box couldn't log in. Instead it sits at the
password prompt.

Now if I type in roots password it will log root in. If root then
types "exit" it again tries to log root in automatically. Here's the

daylonius:~# exit

I've tried looking over the init scripts without luck. I'm new to
debian so I really don't know where to look to fix this. Can someone
help me?