root tries to automatically log in

I reinstalled my 2.1 debian base last week. When it got to the point
where the box reboots then asks me to set a root password, it
rejected every password I tried. I tried various combinations of
numbers and letters but everything was rejected.

So I rebooted, and then my box logged in root automatically with
no password. I changed roots pw and rebooted again. This time it
tried to log root in again, but since I had changed the pw from
blank to **** the box couldn't log in. Instead it sits at the
password prompt.

Now if I type in roots password it will log root in. If root then
types "exit" it again tries to log root in automatically. Here's the
output

daylonius:~# exit
logout
Password:

I've tried looking over the init scripts without luck. I'm new to
debian so I really don't know where to look to fix this. Can someone
help me?