libNoVersion.so missing?

Hi

I am trying to run a piece of software in a debian potato setup and get
the following error message almost immediately (after which the
application stops):

error in loading shared libraries: libNoVersion.so.1:  cannot open
shared object file or directory

I was able to get rid of the problem (and even run my program!) by
copying this library from a Redhat 6.1 distro !:)

Has anyone else had this kind of problem? The library in Redhat is
distributed with glibc--should it be in debian also?  Should I send a
bug report to the maintainer of glibc (ie the maintainer of libc6)?

TIA

Richard